DUBOIS: DuBois City Council unanimously voted Wednesday night to formally oppose any future landfill proposed for neighboring Washington Township, taking action after residents raised concerns during public comment.
Washington Township sits immediately outside DuBois and borders the city, meaning major land-use decisions there—especially large-scale projects tied to waste handling or disposal—can have direct ripple effects for DuBois residents, including traffic, environmental impacts, and potential changes in rail or truck activity through the area.
Public Comment Sparks Renewed Alarm
Resident Nancy Moore urged council to view the issue as urgent, tying it to both the possibility of a landfill and broader concerns about waste infrastructure and rail transport.
Moore called the city’s recent appointment of an Environmental Advisory Board “very timely” given renewed local discussion around a waste transfer station and the possibility of rail traffic carrying garbage from out of state.
“The threat of rail traffic carrying New York garbage through our city is as unacceptable today as it was 30 years ago,” Moore said. “It’s the same thing all over again. I thought I would never live to see it after we killed it in the 90s.”
Moore told council that the earliest step now unfolding involves a subdivision application tied to property in Washington Township. Because DuBois is an adjoining municipality, she said city officials should be kept informed and should be prepared to weigh in on decisions that may affect the city and its residents.
Moore also flagged a public subdivision hearing scheduled for 6:PM Wednesday, February 10th, at the Washington Township Municipal Building, 830 Airport Road. She emphasized that the meeting is being held as a hearing and that no vote is expected that night.
“I’m not asking for anything from them except support — support for the people who would be affected by the garbage coming in from New York,” Moore said, adding that the formal application for the project has not yet been submitted.
Council Discussion Turns Into Formal Action
Later in the meeting, council members returned to Moore’s remarks and discussed whether DuBois should take an official stance as the Washington Township process moves forward.
Councilman Mark Sullivan said Moore raised an important issue and suggested the city consider offering opposition to the landfill.
“Anything we can do to lend help to Washington Township might not hurt,” Sullivan said.
City officials discussed potential options, including a letter or a proclamation. Co-City Manager Ben Kafferlin advised council that taking action that night would be permissible if the agenda was amended, since the move would not involve spending public funds or entering into any contract.
With that guidance, council amended the agenda to address the matter formally.
Councilman Richard Whitaker then made a motion directing the city’s management team to send a letter opposing any future landfill in Washington Township. The motion was seconded by Councilman Mike Piccirillo and passed unanimously.
The vote places DuBois officially on record in opposition as the early stages of the Washington Township approval process continue.
Issue Previously Raised In January
The landfill topic has surfaced before this month. At a January DuBois City Council meeting, resident Joe Zeitler warned council members about renewed activity connected to the long-discussed Washington Township landfill proposal. While council did not take action at that time, members were put on notice ahead of the upcoming subdivision hearing.
With Wednesday’s vote, DuBois council has now taken a formal step—signaling support for residents raising concerns and putting the city’s opposition into writing as the process unfolds in Washington Township.







